I have, for quite a while, provided modified versions of the code for my projects free of charge. However, the cost of webhosting for this site has tripled in the last couple of years and the little I make out of the pcbs I sell goes nowhere near covering this cost.
As of October 2017, I will be asking for a donation in exchange for providing custom modified code for my projects to help keep this site available.
As a lot of people have pics of things unrelated to ham radio on their websites, I thought I would add a couple of my own (Scroll down for site updates). Banjo, our Red Heeler/Koolie cross at 4 months old. And at 12 months old (Feb 2016) enjoying his birthday breakfast treat of banana on toast. A new addition to the family, an 11 week old kitten (end July 2017), rescued by Banjo after being trapped between a water tank and fence. Her name is Storm after her colouring and it's eating a bit of toast and jam (yes, our animals do eat strange things, including lemon meringue pie). They are now the best of friends.
Simple DDS VFO project updated and software file uploaded. The pushbutton on the encoder is used to change step size (step sizes 10Hz, 1kHz and 10kHz).
Noise Canceller kits now available.
Updated both the DDS Xtal Substitute and DDS Xtal Substitute Mark 2 projects into one project. The original webpages are available to download as PDF's.
New project added - my version of the X-Phase noise canceller. PCB available and a kit of parts to follow soon
27 December 2016
Another addition to the Gallery section. This time, fitting a DDS module to a Philips PM5326 RF Generator to cure a bad drift problem.
I started in electronics, way back in the dark ages in the UK, at a very young age and I can blame it all on my grandfather. While staying with my grandparents on holidays and various other times, they used to religiously listen to a radio series called the "Archers". To keep me quiet during the broadcast, they would put me in the cupboard under the stairs (no, it wasn't punishment or abuse), where there was this wonderous world of strange bits and pieces I could play with. This was back in the Fifties (1950's, that is) and I quickly found out these were old radio bits and pieces. Anyway, moving on a bit, I was given one of those Philips kits that made up various electronic gizmo's. From there, I joined a ham radio club and built my first transmitter, a valve (tube to those in the US) 2m AM rig at age 13. (You can hear the outcry now if you let a person of such young age play with all those nasty, dangerous high voltages these days. The nanny brigade have a lot to answer for). Which brings us to the present. For a bit of nostalgia, I thought I might like to build another copy of that old 2m rig. But where to get those harder to find parts without spending a small fortune? As luck would have it, a flyer appeared in our mailbox, advertising a clearance sale and in among the items were - old valve radio's. To cut it short, I ended up with 8 valve radio chassis, all complete, for the princely sum of $6 and I suspect all but two are in working order. Here are some pic's of a couple, to give an idea of what condition they were in. These first two pic's are from a Precedent 5 valve radio/gramophone chassis. The Precedent was the inexpensive brand of the day, with things like the IF cans being pop rivetted around the coils. Also, notice, in the first pic, the two outside pulleys that the dial cord runs over, they are made of wood. An idea for that next project perhaps? In the second pic, the circular plate that came from where the mains transformer is mounted was used to mount the tuning coils. Despite this, whoever built this particular one took great care in wiring it. Look at how straight the bare wire is and with precise bends. The overall wiring and assembly is very neat. These next three pic's are from a chassis, brand unknown, that shows the best use of chassis space. In the first two pic's, both sides of the chassis have been used to mount valves and components. While the third pic shows the variable inductance tuning unit, rather than a varaible cap. That unit still has a nice smooth action. The blue sticker with "ARTS & P" on it is a royalty sticker. Most radio builders in Australia of the time, formed an alliance to make use of patents and protect themselves. The Australian Radio Historical Society and many other sites can provide information, if you want to know more. These and all but one of the others have been dismantled and the parts (excluding resistors and caps) have been kept. Three of them had dial scales which are available for sale of which I will get some pic's and put here shortly.